Disable odrive remotely on specific PCs?

I have odrive on a number of PCs. If I lost of of my laptops, how can I stop someone from getting in and getting to my odrive files? Is there a way to disable specific PCs from getting access?

1 Like

This is something we have planned, where specific device sessions can be removed via a user interface as well as “remote-wipe”. A forthcoming iteration of encryption can also be used in this regard to “lock” files after a certain period of time.

In the meantime you can PM me if you have a specific, urgent need to disable access on other devices (as opposed to hypothetical).

1 Like

Isn’t this just authentication keys? (Per service, even?)

i.e. I create one key per device in odrive. On each device I use a different key to authorize. Upon theft, unauthorize the key?

Granted, the remote-wipe stuff will be nifty, but is the above not doable now?

Let alone … if the local files were encrypted, is the theft of concern any longer?

1 Like

Hi Tony,

I’m trying to do the same thing as the op. How do I set-up an auth key and assign it to my PC? I am currently using the odrive sync client on my laptop, but I’d like to disable syncing in case some one else gains access to it.

Thanks,
Anshu

1 Like

Hi @anshu.nicodemus,
Currently you cannot disable access per device on the odrive desktop client. odrive agent, which is separate from the odrive Desktop client, uses an alternate form of authentication, using auth keys, because of its CLI interface (no browser to facilitate the standard auth flow).

We have discussed the possibility of extending the use of auth keys to the desktop clients, as an alternative to the active, browser-based authentication flow, but it isn’t supported at this time.

1 Like

That might be a good solution. Create an encrypted container with VeraCrypt and put the odrive folder in there. If the computer is lost or stolen, they would have to unencrypt the container to get to the files…and odrive won’t have access to them.

I’ll have to test that out and see what happens.

1 Like

That does work, mostly. I created a 20GB encrypted container and mounted it on O:. I moved my odrive folder to it and then I rebooted. When it shutdown it unmounted the container and when it booted back up, it did not remount the container. odrive says the folder is missing and you can’t get to any of the the files.

However, if you right click on the odrive systray icon, anything that links to the website automatically logs you in.

James

1 Like

Thanks for providing your own feedback here. It does sound like that is a solution that could work. Once you provide access to the container again, does odrive function as expected?

1 Like

Yes. Once the container is mounted as a local volume, odrive sees it’s there and starts to function as it should.

James

2 Likes