Deleting of Placeholder files and sync to Amazon Drive/Deep on Drive option

I have a thread of questions relating to how sync works.

1. I have the free version to mirror sync my local drive with Amazon drive. I notice that ODrive changed some of my files (which I assume had not been accessed in some time) to be on my Amazon cloud only. I did not think I set anything to act this way. Where is this configuration defined in ODrive? One drive has an ‘Always Keep on Drive’ option. I cannot find a similar option in ODrive. Is this in premium only?

2. I deleted a folder that had placeholders only (not knowing this had happened). I then checked on Amazon drive and they were not deleted there. Is this proper behavior? Do I have to sync the physical files before deleting? I would think that if I am deleting a file (placeholder or physical) that sync would remove the physical file from all sync’d locations. (Btw, i did empty the Odrive Trash to confirm that this was not the issue.)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi @trent.wong ,

1. Under normal circumstances, odrive will not unsync anything automatically. We would need to take a look at the “sync activity log” and look for entries related to these files to see what the sequence of events was.

2. As long as you emptied the odrive trash, the deletes should have been sent to Amazon. We can also look at the “sync activity log” for these items to see what took place.

The “sync activity log” is located here:

sync activity log
sync_activity_log_mac

• Once open (as main.log), please save it to your Desktop and then send it to me directly by clicking on my name and selecting “Message”.
  • Also provide the paths of the items you are concerned with (the items that were unsynced and the items that were not deleted).
  • All of the logs are located in the user’s home folder in .odrive/log. If the activity happened a while ago we may need to go back father in the logs and look at older log files.

Thanks Tony.

1. That is weird as I did not manually unsync these folders.
  2. I have included the log from today. The path of the folder deleted is:
    D:/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Pictures/To Be Sorted/SAMSUNG-SM-G928A/Screenshots
    I see three references to this in the log (sending to you). Hopefully you can tell what happened from these log entries.

Hi @trent.wong ,
Looking at the log, it seems like odrive was restarted while it was initially working on emptying the odrive trash, which would abort the operation.

Amazon Drive trash operations can take a VERY long time because they require that all items inside a folder are deleted, individually, before deleting the folder.

In the log there is this initial entry:
06 Aug 07:56:16PM INFO User chose to delete all items in the odrive trash

Then it looks like you issued the empty trash command a couple more times, including on an individual folder. My guess is this was because it was going slow (due to Amazon’s directory requirement) and you thought it wasn’t working properly?

This entry: 06 Aug 08:03:39PM INFO Start scan and refresh mount D:/odrive indicates that odrive was restarted. It looks like it was restarted once more a couple of minutes later.

odrive doesn’t retain the deletes list (because it could’ve changed since the last time it ran) so it will detect the deletes again on its initial startup scan. You have about 30,000 folders, so the scan take a little while to complete (about 15 minutes, it looks like).

There was another empty trash command issued during this time, but odrive had not yet rediscovered the D:/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Pictures/To Be Sorted/SAMSUNG-SM-G928A/Screenshots delete, so it wasn’t included in that operation.

From the analysis it looks like odrive behaved as expected. For Amazon Drive, the main thing to keep in mind is that the delete operations can take a really long time if there are folders to delete. During this time it may look like odrive is not making any progress while it is going through the individual deletes inside of the folder.

I know this is a lot of information to parse, so just let me know if you have any questions on the above.

Tony,

Thanks for the explanation. The notification that keeps coming up saying I have items in my ODrive Trash Bin seemed to indicate that it wanted me to clear it out as soon as I was comfortable that I really wanted to delete the files. That’s a bit misleading. It should tell the user when everything is sync’d and clear to empty as well. How does one know when it is ok to empty?

There are also auto empty trash time options. Does this option wait until it is safe to empty? Those time options, especially ‘immediately’ would seem to cause the same issue.

I have been doing a bunch of folder clean-up and hitting the empty trash often. I have done some looking and many of my folders are out of sync, I assume due to this. How do I get them back in sync? Or would it be better to start from a fresh image? If so, can you send instructions on how to clear Amazon Drive and reset ODrive to do a fresh sync?

Thanks,
-Trent

Hi @trent.wong ,

odrive will notify you when it discovers new local deletes. You can always empty it at that time, but odrive may find more local deletes, later, with a structure as large as yours.

The auto-trash will apply a “delay” period for each item that is put into the odrive trash. “Immediately” will send the delete operation to the remote storage very soon after odrive sees the local delete (it works out to be about 30 seconds). In the case where odrive is discovering local deletes, it will just continue to send those remote delete operations as the new items come in.

You should not need to start fresh. The delete operations could take a long time with Amazon, unfortunately. If there are specific folders that do not seem to be reflecting properly, we can take a look at those in the logs and diagnostics. The expectation is that everything should eventually reflect properly as long as there are not items sitting in any queues (not allowed, waiting, or trash).

It is also important to allow odrive to run, if you can. Frequent restarts of odrive will delay processing because odrive needs to look at everything, in full, again.