Deleted files moving to root of current "account" and impossible to delete

amazon-drive
mac

Hello -

I have an Amazon Drive based store, when I delete files anywhere in that tree structure, they wind up under the main “Amazon Drive” folder.

When I try to delete them there, many of them have already synced to the cloud drive location, and as a result even when I delete them from my command line, they persist on cloud side and eventually resync.

I have what I think to be around a million files in this state. It is currently making odrive unusable as it is constantly syncing the .cloud files and using ~100% CPU in process. I let it run for 4-5 days and finally turned it off.

Need help!!

Ryan

Hi @ryanhoium,
It sounds like you have some sync folder rules set on the root of the Amazon Drive folder to automatically download any new remote files, is that correct? You can check this by right-clicking on the Amazon Drive folder and selecting “sync”. The settings on the windows that pop-ups will indicate the current settings on that folder. If “Save and apply to new files and folders” is checked, then you have that folder set to auto-sync any new content on the remote side.

If it is set this way, you can slide the slider all the way to the left for “Nothing”, uncheck both checkboxes, and then slick the sync button to remove the rule on that folder and prevent further auto-download.

The other setting to adjust is in the odrive menu under “Set auto download”. Make sure this setting is set to “Never”

There are also two settings at the very top of the odrive menu that can disable automatic scanning/processing, which will help calm things down. These settings are called “Stop automatic sync” and “Disable background scanning”.

Once that is all set we can concentrate on the issue of trashed files in the root of the Amazon Drive.

This is a problem we’ve seen before. There is actually a looong thread on it. Here is a post that summarizes the Amazon issue and our attempt to work around it:

So far we have only ever seen this issue happen after and Amazon Drive trash purge, where the files in the Amazon Drive remote trash are deleted permanently (every 30 days, or when triggered manually by the user). Can you clarify if this is the case in your situation, or if you are seeing these files end up in root immediately after deleting them from their original locations?

Once the above settings have all been set, you should have better luck trying to clean up the foler, although trying to operate on ~1 million files may be a little tricky. Do you have the “Auto empty trash” setting enabled in the odrive menu, currently?

OK, I was able to follow your instructions.

It may very well be that the files are showing back up when the purge happens. I just did a test of this to see if the files show up in the root of ACD after the purge.

That said, I also cleaned up all the files that had showed up in root of ACD, some from command line and a few from Finder.

There is nothing yet showing up in my odrive trash. So I enabled background scanning again, and now I’m at 100% CPU again… there should be no files to sync at this point. After 20 minutes, no trashed items to sync and nothing new in my trash in ACD web client.

UPDATE::: used CLI to also check status of trash, CLI output as follows:

odrive Make Cloud Storage THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx accountType: CloudDrive
syncEnabled: True version: prod 6497
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: day Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: small Backups: 0

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 0
Waiting: 0
Not Allowed: 0

UPDATE #2: now the cli status command is showing 205k items in teh ‘Trash’

Going to let this run for a bit here and see if these continue to fill on the ACD webclient trash. up to 607 items in ACD trash now. It seems they are moving very very slowly - like 20 files / second… gonna take a very long time at this rate :slight_smile:

Ryan

Hi @ryanhoium,
Try disabling background scanning but enabling automatic sync. The automatic sync should pick up the deleted items, although it may take a while.

You still see the deleted items in the root of your Amazon Drive from the Amazon Drive web client? https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/all

Hi @ryanhoium,
I saw your updates. It looks like odrive is trucking through the tracking of those deletes. Turning off background scanning should reduce additional overhead, since this turns off our scanning/querying for remote changes, which you don’t care about right now.

There is also a post here that goes over using the CLI to “brute force” the trash operation, since it is likely to abort due to errors with so many items.