Custom exclusion lists for sync (blacklist control, simple file-extension exclusion, etc.)

This is an excellent idea. The non-overridable options could perhaps be integrated into the Spaces function. Owners and admins could create exclusion or inclusion masks that could not be altered by local (per-folder) rule sets. This would solve a problem we experienced in a multi-user environment. The master version of certain files (distinguished either by type/extension or name) should be controlled by a single person. Other files are editable by all. The major cloud providers offer tools to make this work, but the details differ for every one. Odrive would provide a consistent environment independent of the underlying infrastructure.

+1 for custom exclusions.

my use case would be to allow git to track my scripts folder in a project directory and odrive to sync all other folders (i.e. the inverse of git). .odriveignore would be nice but if it was generated as the inverse of .gitignore that would be slick.

@JeffL It’s been 11 weeks since your last update. Is this still in the works? There’s no reason for me to switch from Dropbox to ODrive until this feature is included.

I thought pCloud was going to work for me since it has a type of exclusion list, but it ignores hidden files and folders by default with no way to change it.

Please add this feature as it’s the last thing holding me back from using ODrive. At the very least, please give the community an update. Thanks.

1 Like

@jordanbtucker Hi… thanks for reaching out again. It’s clear you guys really need the feature, and we want to give it to you. I can assure you that this item has our CEO and product team’s attention. One reason why we haven’t delivered it yet is because we need to make some underlying changes to the product to be able to provide this capability in a real (not duct-tape-and-cardboard) way. We do know that a solution can help with some different and high value use cases. Employees at the company want it for ourselves, too…

Anyway, thank you all again for your patience. We’re working as quickly as we can.

2 Likes

I’d just like to add my support for this addition.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

The built-in exclusion list is causing my great pain because I end up with a partial sync of files on other hosts.

I second the .odriveignore paradigm… it’s easy for power users to use and hidden for everyone else. You could drop one at the root of the drive with your current exclusion list.

Ideally, though, there shouldn’t be any exclusions at all. People rely on this for backups and if what they’re dropping isn’t exactly what they get back, that’s a big problem.

1 Like

Depends on the usage scenario. Odrive can be used as a generic interface to cloud storage, not only as a backup solution. An example is near real time file synchronization. In our case, we use odrive for folders where we are actively editing large images. The image editor can produce temporary files well over 100GB in size. I don’t want to waste bandwidth syncing these huge, transient files.

1 Like

I should have said “by default.” Sorry.

I’m mostly stating that I don’t understand where odrive decided their arbitrary block list was THE list across platforms, providers, etc.

1 Like

Could we have *.swp files added to the internal list before the custom list is done?

I have a global .gitignore rule of

*.sw[a-z]

Vim starts with swap files of .swp then
swo
swn
swm

So it would be useful to have swp files ignored
but since swo and swn are not used as file extensions then those could probably be added as well.

1 Like

I know there has been some discussion on this. For my recent testing, I think this is the single factor making it difficult to fully adopt odrive.

In my test last night with Lightroom, I wanted to sync the lightroom catalog, but not necessarily the previews or the lrcat-lock and lrcat-journal files. Those are only opened when Lightroom is open so it is constantly deleting and uploading these.

I second emulating a global .gitignore style file to filter out patterns of files or folders. I think this would make this much easier. Not sure that a per folder exclusion file is needed when a global .ignore file could just have the patterns easily listed like *.lrcat-journal or *\foldertoexclude\

1 Like

Do you guys have ETA on this?
My scenario: As a developer, I would like to sync my “Projects” folder but would like to exclude dependencies - like node_modules for node.js

Cheers

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention that Mega’s native sync client offers this functionality, and as a web/etc developer I have been using it with great success for the past year. It would be FANTASTIC to see this implemented in odrive using .gitignore-style directory-specific files rather than Mega’s globally-applied config textarea.

+1 on this. This is exactly my use-case as well.

Would consider going pro just for this feature.

As a pro user, I’m surprised this doesnt exist. node_modules bogs down my syncing. This is the only thing that should already exist imo that holds me back from buying multiple licenses for my company.

+1 from me on this - I upload a lot of photos to Amazon Cloud Drive and want to exclude certain metadata file types, as well as video files that exist in the same folder structure.

Is there any update as to the ETA for this?

+1. Paid oDrive user. This is the feature I need most.

+1 from me on this - I upload a lot of photos to Amazon Cloud Drive, and I’d like to exclude videos.

Any updates on this? It’s been a year!

+1 for my support (same use case as others - want to backup my code without node_modules and similar directories). gitignore (or conceptually similar) support would be fantastic.

Hope there is an update soon on this issue.

It’s been quite a while since we’ve had an update on this, is Odrive going to get this in the next 6 months? One would think that a year and a half would be long enough to develop such an important feature.
I’ve been seriously disappointed by the lack of development in Odrive over the last 2 years. I have not seen any change in the parts of the app I use and whenever I wonder how to do something, I always see that it has been added to the million mile todo list of the Odrive development team.
Can you please do something that will start rolling out these needed features?
Thank you,