Continue downloading and monitoring status

Hello Tony, I appreciate your quick reply. I tried this version and while it seems to stay running it does not resolve keeping a folder actively synced. Do you know what’s up with that?

And is there a way to watch sync progress? To see what files are queued to be uploaded/downloaded and their respective progress?

Hi @mitchel,
When you perform a recursive sync (download) on a folder to sync it contents, you can specify “folder sync rules” to dictate how new remote data will be treated when it shows up in that folder. You can read more about that here: Sync Source Changes

Initiating a recursive sync and then restarting odrive will not continue that previously initiated recursive sync. It does not persist that type of an action since odrive is primarily designed for “sync on-demand” instead of “download everything”.

You can view status of currently syncing items via the odrive menu under “Syncing changes”, as you have probably seen. We don’t have view of the total since we sync progressively, and don’t do a full scan and sync calculation before starting to sync.

I don’t know why it seems unreliable because sometimes it says 98% completed syncing and then other times it says 30% and then 40%… Also it only shows top folder that is syncing and not which specific file it is syncing… so I can’t monitor progress in case it gets stuck. And all that and my free trial is already over… 8(?) days seems very short…

Hi @mitchel,

The fluctuating percentages are a byproduct of how the sync engine works, where it is progressively syncing through the folders. The numbers may fluctuate as odrive encounters more items to sync as it progresses through the recursive structure. This is also why you may see a folder listed instead of all of the individual files, as odrive is processing that folder as a single sync “job”.

Generally this fluctuating behavior is only apparent when performing very large bulk operations, like when a user is trying to upload or download a very large amount of data as part of import/export/or local mirroring. After the bulk operations complete, the day-to-day usage of odrive will have less volatility in the sync status.

Sync shouldn’t get stuck, in the sense that it will just hang or pause. You will see items that failed to sync in “waiting” or “not allowed” within the odrive menu, or see a general error message if there is some sort of unexpected or unrecoverable error.

You can also use the icon overlays within Finder to see status of individual files and folders that are syncing.

Additionally, if you feel you need more details about the current odrive state, you can trigger a diagnostic from the odrive menu. This will create a local diagnostic file in the root of the odrive folder named “current_odrive_status.txt”. This file will have more granular information about currently syncing items and any errors that have been encountered.

A final method for obtained odrive status is to use the CLI to request odrive status

For the Premium trial, once it is over your client will convert to the “free” version. This may be enough for your needs. This post goes over the specifics of all of the features in both versions

We also offer a no-questions-asked, full refund if you decide to purchase Premium and then cancel within 30 days of purchase. This means you can essentially trial Premium features for another 30 days, if you like.

It currently has no color and says “Ready to sync new changes” and yet shows “.cloud” folders and files on my drive even though I have clicked Sync many times and made sure to choose “Save and apply to new files and folders”.

I have been trying to sync for over 8 days now. 15" 2017 Macbook odrive version 6624. I clicked that send report button in case it helps to debug this.

Hi @mitchel,
I moved this discussion over to its own thread since the crash issue has been resolved now.

I took a look at the diagnostic and I can see that a number of network exceptions are being hit during your bulk download attempt. odrive will retry exceptions up to 3 times before giving up, after which it will abort the bulk operation to prevent infinitely retrying (which could cause even more issues).

There are a couple of things you can do to change this behavior:

• Open up the “odrive_user_general_conf.txt” file in the root of the odrive folder and change the “maxDownloadRetries” parameter from 3 to something like 6.
  • Use the CLI to force the download, no matter how many errors it encounters. This will guarantee that the download will not stop, but you will want to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn’t start looping infinitely on problem folders/files. An example of the terminal command to do this is below:

exec 6>&1;num_procs=3;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "/Users/mitchel/odrive/Google Drive - Weavver" -name "*.cloud*" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

This would attempt to download your Google Drive folder until it is done, not stopping for anything. More on this method here: How can I force a recursive sync (download) with the CLI?