Context menu does not show / Sync does not work

Hi,
The odrive stopped working as usual on my Mac desktop. What I an observe is the following:

1. In the roots of my googledrive and dropbox folder at odrive folder, the contextual menu (right click) show all odrive options. However, if I click on “sync” it says after a while “Can’t sync Dropbox. Unexpected error. Please try again later”. This happens also in Google Drive folder.

2. When you move forward go the folders inside Dropbox and GoogleDrive, the contextual menu does not show. I can see the odrive logo faded and read there “No options available”

3. Despite this, if I click twice on a “.cloud” file, odrive loads it from the cloud and I can open it. However, I get this message in the end: “Unable to sync…(file name). Unable to read system data. Please try again later”. It looks that the file is downloaded and is no more connected (sync) to odrive.

4. If i click on a “cloudf” folder, this does not work. Files inside are not shown, and the folder name looses its “.cloudf”

5. If i add some folder or file in my desktop, it is not synched.

Half a year ago I ompletely lost the contextual menu too, but I turned off and on the extensions and the system recovered and applied it to all folders again, and I went back on track again. But this time It does not work.

Does anyone knows what is going on and how to fix this?
Thank you

Hi @jpsousa,
Sorry to hear you are having some trouble here.

Can you do the following for me?

1. Send a diagnostic from the odrive menu.
  2. Exit odrive and start it again, and then send one more diagnostic after about 5 minutes.

I’ll take a look and see if I can figure out what the issue is here.

Hi @Tony,
Thank you very much for your reply!
As you requested, I sent a diagnostic and quit odrive.
Later, I opened odrive, waited 5 minutes and sent the diagnostic again.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Hi @jpsousa,
Thanks for the diagnostic. Unfortunately it looks like the local database is damaged. This means we’ll need to reinstall, but we’ll be able to set everything back up so that you do not need to resync your data.

To do this, perform the following steps:

1. Uninstall odrive using the instructions from How do I uninstall odrive? . Uninstall will rename the current odrive folder, as a backup, so that you do not lose any data. More on that below in Step 3.
  2. Install odrive again and then log in as the same user as before (very important). It looks like you use Google to login.
  3. When you uninstall odrive it will rename the current default odrive folder to a backup name. You will find this folder in your user home directory named odrive_[current date and time] .
  4. Exit odrive after you have logged in and verified it is now working as expected.
  5. Rename the new default odrive folder to odrive-bak
  6. Rename the backup folder that the uninstall created ( the odrive_[current date and time] folder mentioned above in step 3.) to just odrive.
  7. Start odrive again

After you swap the odrive folder with your backup folder, odrive will see the new content and process it. It will determine if files are already synced and not re-upload or re-download anything. If you have lots of content it could take a while for odrive to finish processing, but once it has you should then be able to proceed as normal with everything as it was before.

Please let me know if you have any question on the above steps.

Dear Tony,
Your instructions were clear.
I managed to follow them and everything looks working perfect right now.
Many many thanks for your help!!

1 Like

Great! Thanks for confirming @jpsousa. I’m really glad to hear things are back on track.

1 Like