Context menu disappeared

Despite the icons and the file sync are working, the context menu stopped working.
So it’s not possible to unsync a folder, for example.

MacOS Sierra
10.12.3 (16D32)

Hi @filipepimentasilva,
So the context menu was working and then suddenly stopped? Was anything done on the system that may have affected it (new applications/utilities installed, MACOS update)?

Take a look at this post and run through the steps so we can see the output: Finder extension (right-click menu) missing in MacOSX 10.11

Also look at this post, which goes through a known Apple issue with a fix that has addressed a few people seeing this issue with their odrive extensions: Finder extension (right-click menu) missing in MacOSX 10.11

Hi Tony,

I can’t tell you what caused that because I can’t connect this issue with any change in the system (it’s possible, but I didn’t noticed that)

Regarding these posts, I’ve already found those ones while trying to solve my problem.

Also noticed this error on system.log (when right clicking an odrive folder):

Feb  9 22:55:14 XXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp[5869]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Feb  9 22:55:14 XXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp[5871]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]

Regarding the first post (re-installing the finder extension) the result is this one:

pluginkit -vmA | grep odrive;pluginkit -r ~/.odrive/bin/*/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/*;pluginkit -vmA | grep odrive;pluginkit -a ~/.odrive/bin/*/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/*;pluginkit -vmA | grep odrive
+    com.oxygen.odriveapp(1.0)	F6CE9D61-1E9F-467B-99F9-F20633EB6DA4	2017-02-09 23:01:22 +0000	/Users/XXXX/.odrive/bin/6149/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/FinderSyncExtension.appex
+    com.oxygen.odriveapp(1.0)	C4BE3567-5799-4459-91B4-25CD4186A329	2017-02-09 23:01:26 +0000	/Users/XXXX/.odrive/bin/6149/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/FinderSyncExtension.appex

Regarding the second post, I didn’t try yet because, first, i need to understand what is being done there, but also because I don’t see cache/permission issues in my logs.

Meanwhile I decided to completely uninstall odrive and install it again.

It didn’t solve the problem and now when trying to open a folder, finder restarts.

The system.log shows the following messages when finder restarts:

Feb 10 00:02:14 — last message repeated 2 times —
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Finder[1700]): Service exited due to signal: Hangup: 1 sent by killall[1724]
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.adobe.accmac.ACCFinderSync[1725]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp[1726]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.adobe.accmac.ACCFinderSync[1727]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX Finder[1728]: assertion failed: 16D32: libxpc.dylib + 74307 [65E41BB6-EBD5-3D93-B0BE-B190CEE4DD93]: 0x89
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.adobe.accmac.ACCFinderSync[1733]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Feb 10 00:02:14 XXXXXX com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp[1732]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]

Hi @filipepimentasilva,
It looks like the odrive process may be crashing. Can you look in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ and see if there are any crash reports? If so, you can send them to me over direct message so I can take a look.

I’ve also tried the solution here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/29625454#29625454
But the first command doesn’t work: “chflags -R norestricted /V*//S/*/Caches”

I’m going to send you the crash report by private message

Hi @filipepimentasilva,
The crash report you sent does seem to be related to the caches issue. This line is telling:
“Configuration error: No SDK cache entry for extension!”

Did you run through all of the steps in that apple post? It should do the trick, based on what I’ve been researching and on previous incidents.

Problem solved!

I tried the apple post solution again and it worked.
The problem was that I was starting my computer using “recovery system over the Internet (macOS Internet Recovery*)” - with this one the chflags command was not working.

Great! Thanks for the update @filipepimentasilva

Hi Tony,
I’m having a similar problem except it’s not consistent.

I’m running MacOS Sierra v10.12.3 on a MacBook pro with all the latest updates with a Premium oDrive account, and Amazon Cloud,Dropbox, Google Drive (2) and OneDrive.

On right click no odrive options appear & sometimes “No Options Available” appears. Previously all was working fine & I was able to sync / Unsync and saw all the other options when I right clicked on a file. As far as I know nothing unusual was done on the system that may have caused this.

About 2 days ago the options totally disappeared and I could no longer see the options. However if I double clicked on an unsynced file it will sync but I could not unsync as no options appear on the right click menu. I tried rebooting a couple of times but that didn’t help. I checked the odriveapp.app Finder extensions listed in System Preferences -> Extensions and it shows the odriveapp.app ext. checked and a core sync ext. checked.

Also, before that problem I was not seeing a large file that I was uploading (about 300 Gb) and waited for a few days hoping that it would resolve but it never did so I separated that large file up into smaller files which then showed up.

I’m sending the diagnostics and looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks
Robert
rbp5108

OK I just saw the request not to send diagnostics unless requested so I’ll wait for your reply.

Thanks
Robert

Hi @rbp5108,
Can you see if you have any odrive-related crash reports in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Can you also see if you have any messages in the console, similar to this post: Context menu disappeared

Additionally, please toggle the extension in System Preferences -> Extensions and see if there is any messages in console when doing so, or if it makes any difference.

Hi Tony,

No odrive crash reports, No messages and toggling does not make any difference.

Update: It all seems to be working again… Very confusing.

Thanks for the update @rbp5108. I’m glad it is working again.

The underpinnings of all of this is pretty straightforward. There is an extension that is loaded into Finder, via Apple’s extension framework. That extension then communicates to the odrive app and is told what options are available for right-click in the current location.

If you see “no options available”, the extension is loaded and running but one of these is likely being hit:

• The main odrive app is not running
  • Something is blocking communication to the odrive app
  • The Finder extension is having an issue opening a new socket (port exhaustion)
  • The odrive app is not responding fully or quickly enough, which could indicate is is very busy with other tasks

If you see nothing at all, then likely one of these is the cause:

• The extension is not running, which could be because
  • The known cache issue: https://discussions.apple.com/message/29625454#29625454
  • The extension has been disabled in the “Extensions” section of the “System Preferences”
  • The extension is not installed properly
  • The extension is not initialized properly
  • The odrive app is very busy with other tasks and taking a long time to respond fully

Since you were seeing both behaviors, it could be an indication that odrive was busy with other tasks. Were you performing any bulk uploads or downloads?

Hi Tony,

Yes I had an upload of about 380Gb going on for a few days when I began to have this problem.

It all seems to have started when I didn’t see a large part of that file which was being uploaded and I attempted to break that file into smaller files and upload. Some time thereafter things went to pieces.

Anyway, the system seems to be working fine now so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up @rbp5108. We are also working on ways to reduce this type of effect when there is a lot of activity.