Can't launch odrive now - it used to work

I was using odrive for a month and generally liking it. Lately, though, I can’t get it to launch - I noticed for the first time today but it may have been longer since I hadn’t tried it in a few days. Was there an update earlier this week?

I can find odrive.exe and it seems to run, but I never get any of the menu options. Clicking on the an odrive placeholder does nothing, and I can’t find any of the odrive menu items anywhere. I’ve already tried several combinations of reinstalling and rebooting.

Hi @stacey,
It sounds like you are not seeing the context menus, but do you have an odrive tray icon and menu when clicked?

If so, can you take a screenshot of that as well as submit a diagnostic from that menu?

Thanks!

There is no odrive functionality at all. I can’t open unsync’d folders and changes to sync’d files & folders to not sync back to the appropriate servers. If I double-click one odrive.exe or any placeholder nothing happens. And no, the context menus aren’t there either.

Hi Stacy,
Let’s try running odrive from a command window:

If you are Windows (which I believe you are given your reference to “odrive.exe”):

1. Open a command prompt (cmd)
  2. Copy and paste the following and hit enter:
    cd "%userprofile%\.odrive\bin" && dir
  3. The above command will list at least one four digit directory (like 5184). You will then wan to use that number in the following command:
    .\5184\odriveapp.exe
    make sure you use whatever number you have, if it is not 5184
    This will launch odrive and hopefully spit out something useful that we can use to diagnose what is happening.

If you are on Mac (just in case):

1. Open a Terminal session (Terminal)
  2. Copy and paste the following command and hit enter:
    cd ~/.odrive/bin/; ls
  3. The above command will list at least one four digit directory (like 5227). You will then wan to use that number in the following command:
    ./5227/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odriveapp
    make sure you use whatever number you have, if it is not 5227
    This will launch odrive and hopefully spit out something useful that we can use to diagnose what is happening.

Thanks!

Did you reboot the system? I get a few programs that run in the background with icons in the task tray that does not start properly until I reboot the system.

Tony - this doesn’t work. I get a file not found error for .odrive and there is nothing in the directory.

eprisencc - as indicated in the original description, I have restarted and reinstalled a dozen times. I’ve even reset my OS and reinstalled odrive on a clean system.

I can find and click on odrive.exe but nothing happens. If I try to open a .cloudf file, the cursor spins for a few seconds and nothing else happens. odrive doesn’t even show up anywhere in the task manager.

Hi @stacey

If .odrive is empty then there is definitely something wrong. Let’s try a reinstall to see if we can get back to a known-good state:

Please do the following:

1. Rename C:\Users\YourUserName\odrive to C:\Users\YourUserName\odrive-backup
  2. Delete C:\Users\YourUserName\.odrive
    This folder is hidden, so you may need to enable “hidden files and folders” in the “View” menu in Windows Explorer. This folder also has a leading period in it
  3. Uninstall odrive via Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel.
  4. Download and install the latest version of odrive from https://www.odrive.com/download
  5. Hopefully odrive will run and you can login with your odrive user.

Thanks!

that did it! thank you

1 Like

I may have spoken too soon. I can right-click on a folder or file and sync or open it but I cannot open a cloud or cloudf document by double-clicking.

Hi Stacy,
When you right-click->open with on a cloud or cloudf file, what is listed? You can set it to OdriveOpen by choosing a different app and then navigating to C:\Users\youusernamehere.odrive\common\bin\OdriveOpen.exe

I figured out the default programs settings

Everything working as expected now?