Cannot sync OSX Desktop to Drop box

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this issue? O Drive trees rot sync three files, all small sized (MS Office) and keeps pushing out this message?

Hi Alistair,

It’s hard to tell what’s going on, but the error message at face value suggests a network connectivity error. Can you answer some questions to help us figure out what might be happening?

1. Are you behind a proxy server, or do you have any non-standard network configuration that we should be aware of?
  2. Were you able to expand the Dropbox folder in odrive and see the top-level contents of your Dropbox account?
  3. Can you use the odrive web application at https://www.odrive.com/account/myodrive to click into your Dropbox account folder, find your files, and then download them successfully?
  4. What steps did you take to trigger this problem? (e.g. “First, I clicked into the Dropbox top-level folder within my odrive and see my files and folders from Dropbox. Then I tried to click into a folder called ‘2015 documents’ and it showed me this pop-up”). The more specific, the better.
  5. What is the path of the files you are trying to sync?

Thanks,
-Jeff

HI Jeff,

Thanks for helping me with this issue.

1. I’m not using a proxy server or any other special network confutation settings. I’m connecting directly from my computer through to my ISP via a wireless mode/router.
  2. When I look at my Dropbox folder online in odrive I can see all of levels from my dropbox account, including older versions of the files that I am attempting to sync back from the desktop app.
  3. When I look at the web application I can see all the files and folders, they are consistent across my Drobox and desktop accept that odrvie and dropbox have older versions of the files I have since updated on the desktop.
  4. The issue seems to have been triggered when I used the desktop app to download and amend the content of some files. odrive seems to know at the desktop and that the documents need to be synced, they are in the waiting sync que but they don’t seem to ever update and I get the error message. I have my odrvie set to “never download” so I only download documents when I need them. The documents I changed were an MS Word document where I made some changes to the text in the document, same for another MS word document and there seems to be a folder called Untitled in the que but I’m not sure what I did to trigger that sync.
  5. The files are located in the drive folder that was automatically created during the drive setup when I installed the desktop app. The file is located in: Macintosh HD/Users/Alistair.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for helping out with this.

Regards

Alistair

Thanks for confirming your specific use case of syncing up an edit to a MS Word doc and for the other info. I’ve been able to sync up Word doc changes in Dropbox just fine under normal circumstances, so there’s definitely something particular going on.

Can you go to your tray menu and click on Send Diagnostics? Let us know once you’ve done that so we can keep an eye out for it.

Best,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Diagnostics sent as requested. Thank you again for your help.

Regards

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

There don’t seem to be any diagnostic dumps received over the past couple of days from you. Were you able to see the dialog below and then click on “Send Report”? Would you mind trying to send it again?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I’m not sure why it didn’t go through but I have sent the report again twice.

Regards

Alistair

HI Jeff,

If this helps - I tried to retrieve another file using drive from my box account and I received the same error message.

Regards

Alistair

@Alistair_Williams do you have problems with other files? For example, if you add a photo to the folder, does it sync up correctly?

Also, do you have another source linked? Is the problem specific to the Dropbox account?

thanks

Hi Peter,

I tried to retrieve another file using odrive from my box account and I received the same error message.

Regards

Alistair

Hi Alistair,
This is certainly strange. I would like you to run through a couple of terminal commands for me, if you don’t mind, to see if we can gain a better understanding of what you are seeing:

This first command will continue to list the active network connections from odriveapp. I just want to see if connections are showing up here and enter an “ESTABLISHED” mode. You can just eyeball this in the background while you try to do things in odrive.
while :; date; do lsof -n -P -l -i4 | grep -i odrive; sleep 1.5; clear; done

This second command will tell us how many files the odrive processes have (more or less):
lsof -n -P -l -d 0-9999 | grep -i odrive | wc -l

The next command will just tell us if we can hit Box.net’s api from the terminal:
curl -v https://api.box.com/2.0/

And the final one will tell us if we can hit Dropbox’s api from the terminal:
curl -v https://api.dropbox.com/1/account/

After you’ve got the results of these, please try a restart of your system to see if the issue clears up.

Thanks!

Hi Tony,

Before I tried the command prompts I restarted the Mac to see what would happen. After restart odrive begin to work correctly.

I’m not sure what triggered the issue to begin with but a restart seemed to solve it.

Regards

Alistair

I’m glad it is working for you now. Please ping this thread if the issue crops up again.