Can only delete or restore one file at a time

I have 200+ deleted files.

Whenever I click “Empty trash” (or “Restore All Trashed Items”), it doesn’t do this.
I can only delete files one by one going Trash → clicking on the file → pressing “Sync Delete”.
The same thing for restoring.

I’m trying to sync with Microsoft OneDrive.
Other files are not affected (e.g. new files that I create sync to OneDrive fine).

I’m using Windows 10, odrive 7123

update: upgrading to 7163 doesn’t seem to fix the issue, after deletes it just says “x new deletes in trash”. Still can’t clear them.

Hi @lance_abel,
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu so that we can take a closer look?

Hi Tony.
I sent the diagnostic. Won’t upload it all here, but there is an error at the bottom:

Recent Errors:
2022-08-06_01:06:37AM 18180 20176 RAISED remote_list_folder([u’uri=/f2ffec00-0258-4873-9ea1-ab1e62458693-5b20771d/191B1BF35EFB548E!198012’, u’pageToken=None’]) → SystemException(code OD_RATE_LIMITED caused by OneDriveRateLimitingException(code OD_RATE_LIMITED - body {font-family:Arial; margin-left:40px; }img { border:0 none; }#content { margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto }#message h2 { font-size: 20px; font-weight: normal; color: #000000; margin: 34px 0px 0px 0px }#message p { font-size: 13px; color: #000000; margin: 7px 0px 0px0px}#errorref { font-size: 11px; color: #737373; margin-top: 41px }OneDrive

Our services aren’t available right now

We’re working to restore all services as soon as possible. Please check back soon.

Ref A: 0382CBB7AA074D2CAEF1DCE9C47032B5 Re

I am authorised.

It also says 20,835 items in trash.
Many of these are E:\Pictures\External HDD\Family\X & Y\Y
What is odd is that these files are still located on the drive, but are in
E:\Pictures\External HDD\Family\X & Y

Otherwise says:
Not allowed (0):

Waiting (0):

Active (4):

E:/oDrive/OneDrive/Downloads/Applications & Cracks/NeuroPrograms/Brainstorm/Tutorials/Workshop_Sydney/data/Subject01/@rawS01_AEF_20131218_01_600Hz (1)
E:/oDrive/OneDrive/Downloads/Applications & Cracks/NeuroPrograms/Brainstorm/Tutorials/Workshop_Sydney/data/Subject01/@rawS01_Noise_20131218_02_600Hz (1)

Uploads (0):

Downloads (0):

Sync folders (0):

Folder sync rules (1):

Blacklist:
Names: com9, com8, lpt8, lpt9, com1, lpt5, com3, com2, com5, com4, icon/r, com6, $extend, nul, current_odrive_status.txt, $badclus, $upcase, $objld, .fcpcache, prn, $mftmirr, .odrive, lpt4, $attrdef, .localized, thumbs.db:encryptable, $volume, lpt7, lpt2, thumbs.db, odrive_user_general_conf.txt, $logfile, lpt1, $boot, $reparse, com7, .ds_store, $secure, icon, lpt3, $bitmap, icon, $mft, odrive_user_premium_conf.txt, .oxygenreserved, .dropbox, $quota, lpt6, desktop.ini, System Volume Information, .lock, .oxygenmeta, con
Prefixes: thumbs.db, .lock, ~, .~, ._
Extensions: .dwl2, .m~, .crdownload, .vpsh, .tmp, .download, .lrprev, .dwl
Contains:

Recently added to remote (0):

Hi @lance_abel,
Thanks for the information.

1. I believe the issue is due to the scale of data in the trash. Our empty trash routine optimizes the list to eliminate children of other items in the list, so that we can just delete a folder with 1000 items in it instead of deleting 1001 items. This optimization can be really slow when there are 20+ thousand items in the trash.

Here is a new version to test that will improve the behavior. It will still take a really long time to delete the 20+ thousand items you have, but you should at least see some movement in the trash as odrive goes through the list.

To install:

1. Exit odrive
    2. Download the installer from the above link
    3. Install
  2. “What is odd is that these files are still located on the drive, but are in E:\Pictures\External HDD\Family\X & Y”

My guess is that you may have done some reorganizing of the structure. odrive does its best to try to detect a move vs a delete + add of a file, but it is not able to do it 100% of the time. In the cases where it can’t optimize to a move of a file/folder, it will upload the new item and then delete the old item (putting the item in the trash if you do not have any auto trashing rules enabled).

As you have seen, you can see a full list of the items in the odrive trash from the “current_odrive_status.txt” file that is created when you send a diagnostic. When the trash list gets this large it is definitely difficult to eyeball it to make sure the files are ones you want to delete. This is especially true if the deletes have been happening over a long period of time, making it difficult to remember when and why files were deleted. I just want to make sure you are satisfied with the list before attempting to send it all to your cloud storage.

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for this.

It did all of the deletes eventually, but now it has new problems

Firstly, it keeps refreshing and saying “X new deletes in trash”. X keeps changing.
Secondly, Trash Bin still has >200 items in it.
Thirdly, when I say “Restore All Trashed Items”, it doesn’t work at all.

The log contains a mixture of:

“NetworkException(code OD_NETWORK_DOWN caused by OneDriveNetworkException(code OD_NETWORK_DOWN - HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘api.onedrive.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url:”

When I go to Microsoft OneDrive, there is nothing in the Recycle Bin.
The files that oDrive looks to be trying to restore are indeed missing off my hard drive and present on Microsoft OneDrive.

Any further help would be much appreciated as I’m unsure what I could do to fix this short of re-downloading a lot of OneDrive data.
I’ve sent the diagnostics just now

Hi @lance_abel,
Sorry for the confusion. The mass restore method wasn’t optimized like the empty trash was. This new version gives restore all the same treatment:

Looking at the diagnostic (you can see this in the “current_odrive_status.txt” log), there are 30858 items in the trash. This latest version will allow you to restore all of them, if you want.

It looks like the empty trash you performed was deleting lots of items, but eventually hit a network exception, which aborted the process. That is why you were seeing items reappear in the trash, since it wasn’t able to finish the process and was re-queuing the items it didn’t get to. We’ll look at this, as well, and see if there is a better way to handle this.

Did you happen to see a pop-up stating there was an error emptying the trash?

I appreciate your ongoing assistance.

I installed 7167.

Initially it looked ok; there were two items in the Trash which I had recently deleted, and I synchronised this delete.

However it then continued coming up with notification after notification “XX new deletes in trash”
When I click Restore All, the same result - more notifications about new deletes.

Sometimes however, it does say “YY items restored” and I can see that it is restoring new deletes that I make.

In the tray however it still says “Trash Bin (200+)” and many of the same files appear to still be stuck there.
I hope that there will be nothing actually lost when the 30d period expires. I think there won’t be, as there are only two items in OneDrive’s recycle bin.

No, there was no popup message indicating that there had been an error - either in emptying the trash, or in restoring it.

I’ve sent the diagnostics again

Hi @lance_abel,
It actually looks like the restore is working. There are 27884 successful restore messages in the “sync activity log”. It looks like there are still a few thousand items to go, though.

One thing that may be causing confusion is that odrive will “find” the local deletes when it scans and doesn’t retain this information in between restarts of the software. It looks like you recently restarted the app, so this is why you may see the pop-up regarding new deletes found, as it will continue to find new items as it scans, and the scans can take a while if there is lots of data, like you have.

Patience is going to be key for this, so I recommend letting odrive finish its scans, and then attempt to restore all in the odrive trash, once more. Maybe give it another hour or two before you try again.

When you do try it again, you can check the sync activity log to see what is happening.
sync activity log

You will see messages like this in there:
12 Aug 02:54:01AM INFO Successful restore of odrive trash item: E:/oDrive/…

Outstanding ! It worked!

You guys are the best :slight_smile:
The best syncing software and team.

Thanks a lot for the help, I was starting to worry I’d lost it all!

1 Like