Apparently a sync is in progress but there's no evidence it is

Hi there, I’ve recently purchased a NAS Synology and successfully relocated my odrive from my Mac to it. It was relatively easy as the entire contents of my ACD were unsynced. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been downloading all but with a couple of errors. The first occurred when I had to reboot the NAS whilst odrive was not syncing. Odrive couldn’t find its folder when both restarted, but after a redirect, all worked relatively smoothly. Today the same happened but this time I’ve encountered a few more problems. Again, odrive couldn’t find its location but after that was mapped it started to upload files that were already uploaded. My solution was to rename the file with ~ , and then recover the deleted sync and once that was done, move the downloaded file into the placeholder folder. Done. And then all seemed to start working again. That is, until I stopped and restarted the sync. Since then it is showing as syncing and on a network monitor there is a download stream but I cannot see any files being synced. No folder has the pink circle. Add to that, the files are for Plex and Plex isn’t discovering any new files either. Therefore I’ve no idea what is happening.

Hi @aspin002,
It is possible that is it scanning. At what level is the network monitor? If it is on the Mac then you are probably going to see lots of network activity as odrive manages the data on the NAS, over the network connection between the Mac and the NAS. If you are monitoring at a level above, like at the router for WAN traffic, then you may be seeing odrive querying the remote storage to ensure everything is in sync.

Just a note here too: When the default odrive folder is moved to an external drive (NAS, for example), it can cause some additional overhead and less efficient scanning and processing. We don’t officially support moving the odrive folder this way, but we also don’t prevent it. I know there are some other folks out there that have this type of configuration.

You can use the CLI to sometimes get a better view of what is happening with the sync engine.

To use the CLI commands from Mac:

1. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

2. Copy and paste the following command into the terminal and hit enter:
    python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status

This will return a summary of odrive status. To get more detailed you can add parameters to the status command like this:
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --uploads
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --downloads
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --waiting
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --trash
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --not_allowed