Amazon Cloud Sync Problems

Since release of 5354

I’ve been having the following problem.

Items will sync to Amazon Cloud Drive. However, when I try to “Unsync” them I get an error:

Can’t Unsync Folder

No Permission

I can go onto the Odrive site or directly to Amazon and all files are replicated there properly

This is with Windows 10 64 bit.

Hi @chris1,

Sorry for the inconvenience, This generally indicates that the OS is not letting us remove the directory, for some reason. Does following thread have solution for the mentioned problem?

Thanks,

• Asif

Ok. Some combination of renaming directories, pausing and unpausing sync fixed this. Thanks!

Great! I’m glad it is all sorted out. Just let me know if anything else comes up

Thanks,

• Asif
1 Like

I had some issue at Amazon Cloud where they lost my 700 Gb of photos, albeit for a short period of time. They did come back. But in the interim, Odrive lost its sync, thought the files were no longer there and then deleted them from my computer. Needless to say, this caused me a fair bit of panic and discomfort. Thankfully I had yet a third external drive with these photos but the discomfort led me to uninstall Odrive, through its challenging uninstall process (Regedit? really?). I really liked the idea of Odrive but until I can develop some greater comfort that I won’t have this issue again (yes, i know it was Amazon’s fault), i will leave it off an just monitor its further development.

Hi @rforbes,

First of all, sorry to hear about the Amazon Cloud Drive issue which caused you around ~700GB unwanted data deletion from your local hard drive. Any sync app like odrive will do the same if any source (in your case, Amazon) returns no files when a request is made to the service. For sync app this is considered as remote files deletion which then later reflected to your local desktop. Well, this is the way sync apps are designed to keep remote and local in synced state that’s why we call them sync apps. I really appreciates you have already figured out that it’s not odrive fault.

We have carefully designed our app to keep such aspects into our minds, thus odrive provides an extra layer of protection by moving synced (downloaded) files into OS recycle bin / trash when remote files deletion is detected, to keep the user’s data available in case of any human error / system error.

You may also find your deleted synced files in OS recycle bin / trash but I noticed by default in Windows recycle bin customer size “Maximum size (MB)” is far lower than 700GB which may not hold all of your data.

If you like keeping all your deleted files in the Recycle Bin as a safety net, you can increase the maximum storage size for the Recycle Bin in Windows:

1. On the desktop, right-click Recycle Bin, and then click Properties.
  2. Under Recycle Bin Location, click the location of the Recycle Bin you want to change (likely your C drive).
  3. Click Custom size, and then, in the Maximum size (MB) box, enter a maximum storage size (in megabytes) for the Recycle Bin.
  4. Click OK.

Story is not ended here, odrive has another cool feature, when you add your local files back into odrive folder and if file size and contents matches (exact match) between your local desktop vs. remote then files will immediately get synced badge without need of re-upload. If you would like try it out, please start with a single file and observe the results, if solution works for you then please go ahead with all other remaining files.

I hope the above is useful to you, Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Asif