Amazon Cloud Drive deleting

odrive is moving folders to Trash on Amazon Cloud Drive

I have a synchronization disk - I download some Amazon Cloud Drive folders to it
When they are complete I stop odrive and move the folders to another location
When I restart odrive it moves the original folders to Trash on Amazon Cloud Drive
and Amazon Drive restores them without a path structure so that they all end up in root

My odrive didnt use to behave like this

All my odrive options are set to never - is there another setting that will prevent this - I never want odrive to delete my Cloud files

Hi @ourtowng,
Thanks for reaching out.

odrive shouldn’t move anything to the Amazon Drive trash unless the odrive trash is first emptied. Auto empty trash is set to never?

Can you also go over the flow a bit more?

• You are downloading items from Amazon to a local folder.
  • When the files have finished downloading you move the local folders to another location. Is this location outside of Amazon Drive? What is the intent of moving the folders?

If this has happened recently can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu and also send me the odrive logs, which will be in your user's home directory/.odrive/log/. You can send those to me directly via private message by clicking on my name and selecting “Message”. Please also provide me with the path of the folder that was deleted.

Thanks for being responsive

Auto empty trash is set to never?
Yes - all the Set Autos are set to never

Can you also go over the flow a bit more?

• You are downloading items from Amazon to a local folder.
  • When the files have finished downloading you move the local folders to another location. Is this location outside of Amazon Drive?
    Yes - my Amazon Drive has been over quota since they stopped allowing unlimited

What is the intent of moving the folders?
I am reuploading them to GSuite

The odrive logs have cycled - earliest entry 25 Sep 08:23:19AM -after they were deleted

Hi @ourtowng,
That is strange. The logs should rotate, so you should see main.log, main.log1, etc. Can you tell me which logs you have in that folder? Were you able to send a diagnostic so I can look at the config a bit?

It is expected that odrive will pick up the move out of the odrive folder of the delete, since it no longer seems the local folder. This should then go into the odrive trash (https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-changes#recover-files-from-trash).

Nothing should be going into the Amazon Drive trash without first going through the odrive trash and being emptied, so I really want to get to the bottom of what you are seeing so that we can address it.

main.log.10+1 rotations earliest entry 25 Sep 11:16:43AM
amazondrive.log.10+1 rotations earliest entry 25 Sep 10:23:32AM
error.log.4+1 rotations

diagnostic has been running for 2 hours so I am going to cancel it

Amazon Drive is over quota so that may be the issue - I have been downloading directly from Amazon Drive and putting files into the odrive Amazon folders when odrive was reporting errors retrieving them

My original statement was that odrive is moving folders to Trash on Amazon Cloud Drive

I now think that Amazon Drive is deleting the folders/files because of some interaction with odrive

More information

Overnight Amazon Drive created 12 folders in Trash
I can track that two of those folders still exist in their original location - I suspect that it is the same for the others

In one previous occurrence where a directory of files were deleted I have an empty directory at the original location

I am using multiple instances of odrivecli.py sync --recursive as well as odrive sync to download

Hi @ourtowng,
Thanks for the additional information.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of downloading, although I don’t quite understand the mix of odrivecli and odrive sync. Are you doing this to try to increase the number of folders you are downloading simultaneously?

Do you see any delete operations (local to remote) in the odrive logs?

How long has your account been over quota?

I know that Amazon will start to delete items after being over quota for a while, but it shouldn’t happen for quite some time.

doing a lot of downloading

I synced the original directories rather than 7zipping them first so I have lots of small files up to 100k or so for a software package

Using odrive sync takes forever even using multiple odrivecli it still takes weeks - I am syncing 14TB

How long has your account been over quota?
My unlimited subscription expired probably in May 2016

I know that Amazon will start to delete items after being over quota for a while, but it shouldn’t happen for quite some time.
The files/directories involved are ones that I am currently downloading - it is hard for me to tell if Amazon is silently deleting anything

Hi @ourtowng,
Can you try this build? It tweaks the logging so that we should be able to get a better picture of what may be happening here: https://www.odrive.com/s/80ac7bdf-e2c4-4e18-8b15-6be7750d292f-5f702cde

When you encounter another strange occurrence, please try sending another diagnostic and then sending me the logs and the current_odrive_status.txt via private message.

Also, for bulk download, have you adjusted any of the advanced settings documented here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/advanced-client-options#maxconcurrentdownloads

Specifically the maxConcurrentDownloads and maxTransferMBytes settings in the odrive_user_premium_conf.txt file will allow you to increase the number of concurrent downloads when you are performing a right-click->sync action on a folder. With these settings you should not need to use the CLI, actually.

The effectiveness of these settings will depend on your internet capabilities, but you can try these values:
"maxConcurrentDownloads": 12,
"maxTransferMBytes": 4096

Keep in mind that Amazon can be aggressive with their rate limiting, so you may end up hitting rate limit exceptions if you push these settings too high, which will negate your throughput improvements.

How fast is your connection?

Thanks for being so responsive - good customer support

So far so good - I am trying to be more careful in how I handle placeholder files

I downloaded 400gb today

No Trash in Amazon Drive today

How fast is your connection?
300Mbps/20Mbps

1 Like