A folder with 140MB of data is missing from the cloud

A while back, I purchased new hardware and needed to re-installed Windows 10, and before reformatting, I had a look at my sync folder and saw a blue check mark for all my folders. Here in my head, thinking: “great! all my files and folders are synced”. Today I’m looking for a folder I had placed in my sync folder and lo’ and behold it’s not in my OneDrive cloud account. Sigh, beware, odrive does not sync new files and folders to your cloud drive. It’s too late now to have any remedy except that the blue check mark sorely misleading!

Hi @lutchy.horace,
I am very sorry you had this issue.

odrive is designed to try to upload any items that have not been uploaded yet, once it sees them.

odrive shouldn’t have a checkmark on a folder unless it has no dirty items in it. A dirty item is any new or changed item on the local side that has not been synced to the remote.

There are two exceptions to this:

• If odrive hasn’t seen the local change yet, and so it doesn’t know about it. This is uncommon because odrive should be getting notifications from the operating system about changes to folders. It can happen, however, for folders that are on external folders that do not provide these events, or if Windows fails to send an event. In those cases odrive depends on a background local scan, which can take up to 30 minutes.

• If the folder/file has a name that is ignored by odrive: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-changes#section--ignore-list-

Do you know how long ago the folder was added? (I am curious about what version of odrive may have been running)
Was the folder added a short time before the OS reinstall, or had it been a while?

I know it is too late now to remedy your situation, as you stated above, but I would like to see if there is an unknown issue that we can address with regards to new file pick-up and badging.

The folder was added roughly around July-August. I’ve been using that particular sync directory since the last Windows Feature update, which should be March 2018. What’s frustrating, there is no way to tell now if it ever worked since then. Don’t know how much data I’ve lost, if any, besides what I mentioned in my previous post. All I’m aware of, odrive was using defaults. There were on a local disk, so no external folder, although to be honest. I’m not sure if I ever updated the odrive client, nevertheless, having the blue check mark surely threw me off. Sigh. I was able to rangle myself and muster to recover some of the lost files with undelete. Thankfully, the format didn’t do a block level wipe.

EDIT: I recently made a change to my Microsoft account, would that have affected it?

Thanks for the information @lutchy.horace.

You may have already done this, but did you try a search in the OneDrive web client for any of the missing items? I have seen some cases where a file/folder was inadvertently dragged/moved into the wrong folder.

We are doing a walk-through of the path state and badging logic, to make sure we don’t have any gaps. Its a bit difficult since there isn’t a whole lot to go on, but I want to make sure dot every ‘i’ and cross every ‘t’, so to speak.

If you still have odrive installed, can you verify that adding a new folder with files in the same location initiates an upload to OneDrive?

What kind of change?